Can We Get the Recommended Intakes of B Vitamins While Going Paleo?
Long story short, yes.
Many people claim that it will be difficult to get enough B vitamins when eating a paleo diet.
Mainly because grains and legumes are a good source, and breads and cereals are fortified with many of them.
What are B vitamins?
- The B-group vitamins are a collection of eight water-soluble vitamins essential for various metabolic processes.
- Most of these vitamins can’t be stored by the body and have to be consumed regularly in the diet.
- Extended cooking, food processing and alcohol can destroy or reduce the availability of many of these vitamins.
- They help the body function via a number of different ways - including nerve function, metabolism of food (fats, carbs and proteins), brain health and chemicals, red blood cell creation, immune function and energy production as well as hormone creation.
- What I don't understand, is why they would be concerned over B Vitamins, considering most of the good sources of them available are paleo friendly foods...
So what paleo foods are good sources of B vitamins?
B1 (Thiamin) - seeds (especially sesame seeds), tahini, nuts, yeast and pork.
Riboflavin - egg white, leafy green vegetables, meat, yeast, liver and kidney.
Niacin - meats, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts, mushrooms and all protein-containing foods.
Pantothenic acid - liver, meats, kidneys, eggs, yeast.
Biotin - cauliflower, egg yolks, liver, chicken, yeast and mushrooms.
Pyridoxine (B6) - green and leafy vegetables, fish and shellfish, meat and poultry, nuts, liver and fruit.
Folic Acid (Folate) - green leafy vegetables, seeds, liver, poultry, eggs, and citrus fruits.
Vitamin B12 - liver, meat, eggs, almost anything of animal origin.
Eat plenty of leafy greens; have eggs, nuts, seeds, veggies - especially mushrooms and cauliflower; have an adequate intake of meat (including occasional liver/kidneys) and seafood, and enjoy some citrus fruits. The average healthy person shouldn't have an issue with this group.
Source: Better Health Channel.
Disclaimer: This is not medical advice, purely general information and not intended to be taken as individualised nutrition advice. I always advise a personalised approach using a one-on-one consultation with a health professional to determine your own needs. A paleo style diet does not automatically mean you will reach your Recommended Dietary Intakes (RDI) of the B Vitamin group.