Let's Go To The Beach! Wholefood Snack Ideas
By Doralise Halepis, Nutrition Student
This wonderful weather means its time to pop on that swimsuit, slap on some sunscreen and head down to the beach! Pack a picnic basket with easy to eat wholefood snacks to avoid costly ice-creams and compromising your beach body!
What to pack in your picnic basket
- Raw nuts and seeds or tamari almonds
- Plain popcorn (if pre-packaged, watch out for additives - Cobs natural range is pretty good)
- Wholegrain crackers
- Sweet potato fries
- Buckwheat blueberry mini pikelets
- Fine Fettle Flats
- Seaweed chips
- Corn on the cob
- Kale Chips
- Soma Bites
- Fresh fruit with a thick skin always works a treat - think bananas, apples etc
- Roasted Chickpeas -- homemade or Chic Nuts
- High Protein Bliss Balls
Note: Being in the sun certainly puts you at risk of dehydration, be careful not to overdo the salt in your snacks and keep your fluids up!
What to pack in the esky
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not take an esky for your favourite frozen and chilled treats.
- Fresh fruit such as strawberries, banana slices and grapes are easy and mess free, especially for little hands. Or why not thread a few of your favourites onto skewers for fruit kebabs!
- Frozen oranges and watermelon offer a great way to cool down and replenish hydration
- Mango chia pops
- Chia Pods, found in the yoghurt section of the supermarket, these are individually packed and come with their own spoon, making them very easy to transport around.
- Simple rice paper rolls
- Cheese and dips for your crackers! Yalla makes a good range of dips if you haven't got time to make them yourself.
- Coconut water
- Carrots, celery, capsicum sticks
- Edamame beans