Go behind the scenes of Inside Out!
Late last year I excitedly announced my endorsement of Inside Out. A health-focused brand and creators of the most innovative, delicious, and fresh almond milks (including flavoured ones!) on the market.
They have such a unique process to get it to the health food store shelves and cafes that I can't share all of it with you. But I wanted to give you an insight into the amazing technique they use to prolong the product's shelf life and ensure the product is safe for you to consume - without stripping any of the beneficial qualities!
It's called High Pressure Processing (HPP).
High Pressure Processing is a way to process foods without using heat. It has the potential to produce high quality, fresh, nutritious, safe-to-eat foods without using chemical preservatives.
The almond milk is subjected to pressures around 6 times greater than the deep ocean! Only the most uniquely adapted creatures can survive the deep ocean (click here for some fascinating characters, albeit off topic), so times that by 6 and any potential nasties in food just can't handle it.
The high pressure used in HPP kills most food-borne pathogens (the things that make you ill), by damaging cell components such as cell membranes. The benefits? HPP does not significantly affect the flavour and nutritional value. So Inside Out can provide us with safe fresh products just like you'd make at home, with enhanced properties and an extended shelf life!
Now, I don't lend my name to just any old product. I made sure I sussed out the guys behind the milk, what went into it, and exactly how things were done, so I could ensure you that this really is the best almond milk available.
I went to the HPP facility to check out all things Inside Out! Plus to curb my nerdy desire to learn more about factories and how foods are made. Thanks Vuong!!
Take a sneak peek into the processing below:
Stepping inside with our super sexy health and safety gear. That's Vuong and I - looking as happy as Larry putting safety first! The HPP machine is in the background...
Packing the bottles into the machine.
And leaving the boxes behind. There were boxes flying.
This is where the pressure comes from.
Bring out the bottles! After they're put through their pressure paces inside the HPP machine, they make their way out, and are ready for boxing up and shipping off to the stockists. Or in the case of one of them, home with me!
I couldn't wait to try the cold brew coffee one - super cold, super delish, and perfect for that early morning pick me up!
All the flavours, in all their glory. Naked without labels. Feeling super spesh to be one of the first to have tried them out! Made my way through all of them in 2 days. #Sorrynotsorry.
Here's why I love Inside Out in a (/n almond) nut shell:
- Their almond milk tastes amazing - the creamiest, purest flavour you'll find, thanks to a high 12% almond content.
- They don't add anything you don't need - no artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, or emulsifiers. I'd happily shake the bottle before pouring than drink my milk with that stuff.
- It lasts - you can buy it and store it without it tasting funky and growing things after a day or so. These babies have a shelf life of 2 weeks!
- Their almonds are activated - think nutrients that were trapped, now available for your digestive benefit!
- They're HACCP approved - the only fresh almond milk brand that is certified safe for consumer consumption.
- They cold press and their nuts are non-GMO and 100% Australian - their almonds are cold pressed during production to help retain more nutrition!
- They have a range of flavoured milks that will blow your socks off - salted caramel (heaven), strawberry (real strawberry - its incredible, and I hate strawberry flavoured things!), cacao (winner), cold brew coffee (I am now a morning person), spiced vanilla (dreamy), and all still contain no nasties whatsoever! Just a little bit of sugar in the salted caramel. But seriously, when it tastes that good, and only 2.3g per 100ml, I'll take that any day over other flavoured milks!
- They use natvia to sweeten things up - a natural blend of erythritol and stevia which is fructose free!
- The guys behind the brand are awesome - they want you to enjoy nutritious food and drink, making an almond milk range that is just like homemade, but better! They are constantly thinking of new methods and processing ideas as well as new products; and they're just seriously nice dudes, who are tonnes of fun to hang out with!
So grab yourself a bottle from any of the best health food stores around Australia, and get creative! It even froths beautifully in coffee! Plenty of cafes using Inside Out Almond Milk will agree too! If you get your hands on the flavoured varieties - you can start experimenting with my super easy and delicious recipe for Salted Caramel Ice Cream that's gluten free, dairy free, low fodmap friendly and requires only 3 ingredients. Yum!