Is Aloe Vera the next Superfood?
by Lucy Marks
Since the very first time my Gran lathered the gel onto my burning-red river- shoulders as a young girl (mind you, she did have to chase me around the house a few times, because hey that spiny, spiky, sticky thing she retrieved from the front garden, with it’s gooey green insides was simply terrifying!) Aloe Vera has become my ‘go-to’ to sooth and heal any burns or wounds.
Only recently though, did I catch wind of it’s additional health benefits, and needed to know more!
The first interesting fact I came across was regarding it’s phenomenal composition; the Aloe Vera plant consists of 99% water, with the remaining 1% being a mixture of 150 different elements, including; 12 vitamins, a large number of minerals and trace elements and more than 18 amino acids. Its one powerful plant! Hence, it came as little surprise as I read on to discover the astonishing number of health benefits it can provide to our insides; when taken orally Aloe Vera juice can cleanse the body of toxins, facilitate the absorption of nutrients and remove any unwanted waste. Who knew!
Aloe Vera as a Detoxifying Agent
Aloe Vera juice being packed full of vitamins, mineral and many amino acids is one of nature’s best cleansers. The juice helps to clear the digestive system and colon of toxins, enabling our digestive tract to effectively breakdown and absorb nutrients from our diet. Aloe Vera juice can also help relieve the body of any inflammatory skin and digestive conditions such as acne and Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Cleansing the Digestive Tract
Not only can it cleanse the digestive tract of toxins, Aloe Vera juice can also clear the system of any unwanted food residues that are hanging around and clogging us up. These food wastes have the potential to harm our insides and can result in abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation. No thank-you!
But the benefits don’t stop there, Aloe Vera has been found to have natural laxative properties that help reduce the symptoms of constipation and improve bowel regularity. When orally ingested, the gel/juice stimulates the production of bile in our gall bladder, this bile helps to break down the build up of fats in our body that are the common cause of constipation.
Strengthening the Immune System
Whilst doing a fine job of supporting our gut health, Aloe Vera also does a lot to support our immune system. It is crammed full of immune-boosting polysaccharides that help to keep our immune system from misbehaving. Aloe Vera acts as an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent in our body, protecting us from disease, and otherwise fighting off infection.
The health advantages from this ancient medicinal plant are extensive; whether used as a gel or a juice, ingested or applied, the benefits both internally and externally are quite remarkable.
So thank-you aloe vera for doing an amazing job of supporting our gut health, and thank-you for the many times you’ve relieved us of the pain that is sunburnt skin!