SESAME AND GINGER CHICKEN SKEWERS
A simple, yet indulgent starter or canapé, it is best servedwith Coriander and Peanut Chutney (see page 172). To get ahead, start this recipe the night before by marinating the chicken, omitting the eggs and flour until you areready to cook. Drizzle with honey and eat immediately.
Serves 2–3 | Preparation time: 40 minutes Marinating time: 30 minutes–8 hours | Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 green chilli, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
45g piece ginger, peeled
2 tablespoons finelychopped coriander
2 tablespoons fresh limeor lemon juice
1 egg white
¾ teaspoon garam masala
40g white sesame seeds
2 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
oil, for deep-frying
3 teaspoons plain flour
Optional Garnish - honey, to drizzle
1. Cut each chicken breast into 8–9 pieces or cubes and place in a deep bowl.
2. Gently pulse the chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander, lime juice, garam masala, sesame seeds, soy sauce and salt in a blender for 30–40 seconds.
3. Pour the mixture over the chicken pieces, and, using your hands, gently rub into the pieces until coated. Cover and chill for 30 minutes, or overnight.
4. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep saucepan to 180°C/350°F.
5. Mix the egg white and flour into the chicken and mix until everything is well coated. Deep-fry the chicken in 2 batches for 3–4 minutes on both sides until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Lightly drizzle with honey. Thread onto wooden skewers and serve immediately.
Note: To test if the oil for deep-frying is hot enough, drop in a small piece of bread, if it browns in 20 seconds it’s ready.
Images and recipes from Indian made Easy by Amandip Uppal (Murdoch Books) RRP $39.99 available now in all good bookstores and online