Easy Beef & Mushroom Ragu Spaghetti
For a really long time, I avoided pasta. I originally dropped it as a way to soothe my digestive system, and it worked. Wheat is certainly not my friend. But at the time, there was no other alternative that actually held up once you cooked it. So I went through a phase of just avoiding carb-based dishes completely, and got used to it. Until Barilla sent me some goodies to try from their Gluten Free range. See my full review here.
They've really changed the game for gluten free pasta and now, well you can enjoy traditional-style pasta that holds it own in taste and texture. Try this simple, nutrient rich dish to get started!
- 1 large zucchini - thinly sliced lengthways into ribbons (I used a potato peeler)
- 4 swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 beef cheeks (approx 1.4kg) - (option - you can use chuck steak if you prefer)
- 1 x bottle Barilla Gluten Free Bolognese Sauce
- 1 x bottle Barilla Gluten Free Ricotta Sauce (option - use 2 Bolognese instead if you prefer dairy free)
- 1 x 340g box of Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti
Combine beef cheeks and sauces in a slow cooker. Cook on high overnight (or for at least 8 hours, until the beef is tender and falls apart)
Add mushrooms, zucchini and carrot to the slow cooker. Cook on low for another 20-25 minutes to soften.
Meanwhile, prepare pasta as per packet.
Serve pasta and ragu topped with fresh basil.
This recipe freezes well so I tend to make a big batch and store half for later :) Sure beats takeaway!