Kale, Chickpea, Mint and Preserved Lemon Salad
A refreshing and healthy salad made substantial by the addition of chickpeas. It is also suitable as a side dish, or enjoy on its own with barbecued slices of paneer or haloumi.
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side | Preparation time: 20–25 minutes
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 150g kale, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemon rind, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds and
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt, to taste
- 180g cooked chickpeas, lightly crushed with the back of a fork
1. Whisk together the oil, crushed spices, garlic, mint, red chilli flakes, if using, lemon juice and salt to taste.
2. Place the chickpeas and kale together in a large bowl.
3. Pour over the dressing and scatter with the preserved lemon.
Images and recipes from Indian made Easy by Amandip Uppal (Murdoch Books) RRP $39.99 available now in all good bookstores and online